A healthy smile is a back-to-school essential. It doesn’t matter if your child is in the classroom full time or part time this fall. If they have untreated dental issues, they may experience pain, trouble chewing, difficulty speaking, and problems focusing, among other challenges.
Scheduling a checkup near the start of the school year can set your kid up for success. Use these tips from our family dentists to help ensure an easy and enjoyable back-to-school visit:
- Encourage good dental habits: No parent wants to hear that their child has cavities. You can help prevent tooth decay by encouraging good dental habits at home. Remind your child to brush twice a day for two minutes and discuss the importance of flossing.
- Time your appointment carefully: We understand it can be tough to find room in your busy schedule for dental visits. However, your child’s experience at the dentist can vary depending on when you make their appointment. If you book it during their naptime or after they have finished a full day of camp or school, they might not have the energy.
- Encourage your child to eat a light meal: Kids can get grumpy when they’re hungry. Feed them a light meal before their appointment to help them feel more comfortable. Avoid giving them something to eat in the waiting room. Food will get stuck in their teeth.
- Let the more experienced sibling go first: Back-to-back dental visits are a great option if you have more than one child. When deciding who goes first, pick the kid who has more experience and feels more comfortable at the dentist. That way, their sibling will get to see that there’s nothing to worry about.
- Stay calm and positive: Kids are more observant than we think. If you seem nervous about your child’s appointment, then they will likely feel nervous too. Try to stay positive. If your child gets upset during their visit, work with our team to help turn things around.
Schedule Your Child’s Dental Visit in Omaha
Ready to schedule a dental visit for your child? Call Hillsborough: 402-445-4647, Village Pointe: 402-505-7474, Ralston Square: 402-733-4441, or Dundee: 402-502-5593.