There is a lot of misinformation out there about one's oral health and wellness. At Hillsborough Family Dentistry of Omaha, NE, we strongly encourage you to educate yourself further on common dental problems that may arise. We also want to keep patients informed on what they can do to achieve and maintain oral health and wellness. This starts by debunking many commonly misunderstood issues.
Common Myths About Cavities
Below are a few of the myths we hear from patients about tooth decay when they visit our team at Hillsborough Family Dentistry:
- Sugar is the only cause of tooth decay. Sugar does contribute to tooth decay, but it is not the only cause. Bacteria that live in your mouth produce acid when it breaks down sugar, and this acid can cause tooth decay. While sugar is a key ingredient in the formation of cavities, it's not the only one.
- You don't have to worry about cavities in baby teeth. While baby teeth will eventually fall out, they are still very important for children. These teeth help your child chew and speak properly, and they also hold space in their mouth for permanent teeth to grow. If cavities are left untreated, they can cause pain and infection.
- You will always know when you have tooth decay. While there are signs that you may have a cavity, like sensitivity to hot or cold foods and drink, they do not always occur.
- Cavity fillings are dark and unsightly. Cavity fillings can be made in a variety of colors, so they won't always look dark and unsightly. The color of your filling depends on the dental material used, but our team will often use composite resin, which can be matched to your natural tooth color.
- Cavity fillings need to be replaced--a lot. For many of our patients, fillings can last a decade or longer with proper care!
Schedule an Appointment at Hillsborough Family Dentistry Today
If you are looking for a fun, family-friendly dental practice that offers general, cosmetic, and restorative dental care for all ages, do not hesitate to contact Hillsborough Family Dentistry in Omaha, NE, today! We have four convenient office locations ready to accept new and returning patients and families seeking comprehensive dental care with an experienced team of professionals. We have been rated Best of Omaha for many years in a row--just a testament to the quality care we provide for those who visit our team!