We are all well-versed with social distancing at this point, but have you heard of the concept of dental distancing? It means taking steps to reduce the spread of germs via oral hygiene. Below we look at the ways you can dental distance.
- Hand washing: It’s a good idea to wash your hands before and after toothbrushing and flossing, whenever possible. It becomes much more important if you’ve been outside of your house or if you haven’t washed your hands for a while.
- Toothbrush storage: Store your toothbrush separately from the toothbrushes of your household. You may want to consider disinfecting the handle every once in a while, to remove any germs placed there by your hand.
- Toothbrush replacement: If you get sick with any illness, replace your toothbrush once you are feeling better. Toothbrush bristles hold onto germs, so it’s a good idea to throw it out so you don’t spread germs or continue introducing germs into your own mouth. You should replace your toothbrush every 3-4 months regardless, or as soon as the bristles become frayed and worn.
- Don’t share utensils, plates and cups. Sharing a meal is a wonderful thing! But using the same fork to taste someone else’s meal, or sipping from their cup, should be avoided for the time being because it can transmit germs.
- Schedule your routine visit: We have always followed strict safety and sterilization standards set by the industry, and we have added measures as we reopen to patients following stay-at-home orders. If you are due for a dental cleaning and checkup, give us a call! We’ll let you know what to expect and what steps we are taking to ensure the health and safety of our patients and staff.
We are committed to arming our patients with the reliable information they need to maintain optimum oral health and a beautiful smile. During the COVID-19 pandemic, that means making sure you know how to avoid spreading the virus when you brush and floss your teeth. To learn more or to schedule your next appointment, please call one of our four Omaha locations: Hillsborough, 402-445-4647; Ralston, 402-733-4441; Village Pointe, 402-505-7474; or Dundee: 402-502-5593.